The Sound In Your Head

Friday, January 19, 2007

Immunizations HURT!!!

Okay, I fess up, I hate shots and having blood drawn. I'm a big pussy when it comes to those delightful events. So when I went to the San Francisco Department Of Health's travel clinic to get immunized properly for my trip to Nepal and Bhutan I wasn't in the best frame of mind.

Thank god I live in a country in which we have the *option* to get immunized. Truly. I am blessed.

But holy smokes - yesterday I got stuck 3 times for 4 reasons (polio, tetanus, hepA/hepb combo and thypoid meds are in the fridge). The injections weren't too bad. I was a pro as was the nurse. "Deep breath in, deep breath out, prick, done" - times three.

I decided to walk home to the mission, grabbed a grilled veggie burrito on the way and called it a day. About 30 minutes into the walk I felt feverish and tingley (and not in a way one might hope!). 2 hours later I was zonked. I passed out on my couch around 7:30pm and more or less slept through the night if you don't count having to roll over to switch sore arms to sleep on.

But again, in the end, grateful we who get to benefit from modern medicine should be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home