The Sound In Your Head

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Tattoos Burritos and Wedding Chapel Vs. Tattoos Burritos And Guns

Yesterday afternoon as I collected various apartment rental application forms I had to finally acknowledge the fact that I am moving. I've been spying rental listings in San Francisco and the East Bay for awhile, contemplating various housing issues in the back of my mind but never full on allowing myself to say "I'm moving" to anyone including myself.

My first 'public' effort towards finding a new place to lay my hat led me to an interesting place of contemplation. While I stood outside of an apartment building on the corner of 25th and Bartlett in the Mission District I smiled noting how different this corner was from the corner of 18th and Capp where I'd been to see an apartment Sunday afternoon.

Across the street from Bartlett and 25th is a small Mexican wedding Chapel, further down the block a tattoo parlor and rounding the corner back onto Mission Street itself a couple of tacquarias. 18th and Capp is not so different, there's the odd tattoo shop somewhere intermingled with auto body repair shops and more than one tacquaria but what my dear, dear friends won't let me forget is that on 18th and Capp you might also run into someone packing heat. A little different from the wedding chapel vibe to say the least; I guess unless we're talking shotgun weddings.

18th and Capp St. dwelling is a 30'by 16' loft space in a 6000sq ft warehouse with 14' ceilings. There's no heat or proper bathtub and the warehouse space houses a stock film company and all of it's film. Canister after canister of film.

25th and Bartlett habitat is a huge old beautiful 7 story building constructed in the 1930's spanish villa style. The units feature mahogony wood, gorgeous tiled bathrooms and views of the city to-die-for. Did I also mention that compared to the sprawl I live in now these units are a post stamp. There's parking spaces underneath the building.

So you can see my dilemma. I've lived in hell - I know how to do it - South Side of Williamsburg, Brooklyn in 1994 was no picnic - 6th st. and Market living illegally in the Warfield building wasn't exactly country living unless we're talking about crack country. Just because I can stomach living in the dodgey underbelly of an urban jungle - should I? The idea of gobs of unstructured loft space is dreamy just about as dreamy as that beautiful view from the top floor of a 7 story building.

Oy. What's a girl to do?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home