The Sound In Your Head

Thursday, March 23, 2006

The Jewish Hugging Doctor

Today I bit the bullet and went to my primary care physician to inquire about the sinus headaches and green snot I've been ignoring for the last 10 days. Truth be told the green snot was new this morning and a righteous bellwether for the situation at hand.

Anywho, at 12noon today I sat in the dingy office my PCP waiting for him to examine me; having never actually met him I had no idea what to expect. His last name sounded Jewish to me and while waiting I could hear an older man speaking on the telephone with a distinct New York accent. This was my guy I was certain.

A few minutes past 12noon in walked my doctor, he proceeded to ask me a few questions mostly regarding my symptoms and medical history. Next came the meat and potatoes of the examine, blood pressure and temperature, a mouth open wide 'ahhhhhh' and a light shoved up each nostril. What I didn't anticipate was the surprise dessert. Dr. takes a stethoscope out of a drawer and while keeping up his end of a conversation about the aviation industry pulls up the back of my shirt that was tucked into my pants and slides his hand and stethoscope up my back! Holy crap I'm thinking - don't these fuckers ask first? And that wasn't the end of it. After he listened to my deep breaths he reached around to the front of my shirt went to lift it up quickly realizing that a top entry would be more efficient he reaches down the front of my shirt without so much as a pause or how do you do and sticks the stethoscope down against my chest. A few more breaths and we're done, prescription in hand I am asked by the doctor to 'lift up my arms', I do so and before I know it he's hugging me and wishing me 'get well'.

I look around the room and take in the half dozen posters and placards that say things like 'hugging saves lives', 'a hug a day keeps the doctor away' and then I realize ........ I've just seen the Jewish Hugging Doctor.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:10 AM, Blogger Stacia said…

    you know, i don't think he was actually a weirdo, just a dude who's been doctoring for so long it's all the same to him.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home