The Sound In Your Head

Friday, May 21, 2004

Tools Of The Psyche

In preparation for leaving New York and starting a new life in California I've been doing a lot of meditating and reflection. The relationship between human form and beingness - if you will - amazes me.

The most fascinating phenomenon I see now is the power that human beings possess to work with their own psyches to manifest change both internally and externally.

We live in a culture that tells us that we need someone else's hand and permission to work on change or reshape our interior lives. But all the tools, power and capacity actually exist within each of us.

So I ask myself "what's the key to putting the tools in your own hands?"

I think the answer is trust.

I talked to my friend John last night. He talked to me about messing up all of his drawings. I told him that he'd better stop and not mess them up and he said no - that he comes back to them at the last minute and figures out how they're supposed to work.

I think he's onto something. I'd imagine there's an awful lot of trust required to put something into a form that appears messed up or messy and leave it alone and come back to it to see that with a few changes it actually makes sense.

Like baking - like bread rising - like all organic processes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home