The Sound In Your Head

Saturday, May 21, 2005

Damming The Energy Of Enthusiasm For My Own Sake

I think most people that know me would characterize me as a generally enthusiastic and excited person and I see myself as such too.

Enthusiasm is a great tool, but as I know too well, it's got a dark side.

Deployed without care, caution and discretion my own enthusiasm has pushed me down the infamous path of the 'less than ideal'. The 'less than ideal' is different from the path of 'the middle ground'. To qualify, middle ground exists between the extremes of a duality. In Buddhist teachings it is referred to as the 'middle way'.

When I refer to scenarios that I'd label as 'less than ideal' I think about instances within which I put my own needs, wants, ideas, objectives and/or inclinations on the shelf for some imaginary 'later date' as the cost of admission into the scenario and as opportunity for my enthusiasm to reign free.

So many times in the past I've made this choice as the alternative - damming my enthusiasm, walking away, saying no, sitting with the discomfort of having the energy of enthusiasm coursing through my system seemingly without an outlet - seemed so grim.

Lately, I'm going with the alternative as it seems to be a choice that leads to a more ideal middle path - one that reflects my intensions in real time as opposed to leaving them to manifest as a botched after thought. It isn't an easy thing for me to do. I think and hope this process will lead to satisfying creative results.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home