The Sound In Your Head

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

The New Stone Age

If I'm gonna be confessing my hopeless affections for Leave It To Beaver and Frankie Goes To Hollywood all in one post I might as well follow it up with an admission regarding Orchestral Maneuvers In The Dark.

Now before we get started just put all of your memories of John Hughes movies aside. That also goes for when we talk about the Psychedelic Furs who all too often get lumped into that whole string of thoughts and memories. I fucking love the Furs and if you need to know what to listen to beyond goddamned 'Pretty In Pink' you know who to call.

Moving right along ....

I think it could be argued that OMD's Dazzleships, Architecture and Morality and Organization (all released between 1980-1983) were not only some of the best electronic pop records made in their day but listened to now are still completely relevant.

If I was challenged to a gun fight over electronic music my weapon of choice is Brian Eno. But let's leave well enough alone - this is a post about love.

Now a story about teenage adoration. I saw OMD live at Freeborn Hall at UC Davis in 1986 and demonstrated my love for them in the form of a bedsheet I'd pilfered from my mom's linen closet and spray painted "OMD WE LOVE YOU" with some leftover paint used for my highschool marching band's homecoming float. During the concert my friends and I deftly raised the sheet, eventually it got dropped and kicked around by the audience making its way to the front of the stage. OMD's Andy McCluskey picked it up and said something about this being a very dirty sheet and took it backstage with him. I was elated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home