The Sound In Your Head

Thursday, April 13, 2006

What's A Girl To Do?

I'm working from home today - it's an easy feeling - in my pjs - at the table - drinking dark sumatra staring out the kitchen window onto the backside of Bernal Hill.

From here, everything is clear. I need to leave my job for reasons which do not include just not wanting to work. There are viable reasons for me to be disgruntled and seek employment elsewhere. Let us say simply that I am screwed between the combination of a glass ceiling, irresponsible boss above me and a group made up of people who I don't share a lot of work experience with it's a far, far less than ideal situation.

These are the days when a really strong ego could come in handy. So much of what I'm wading through is invisible, unprovable, all about perception. I think that the only really effective way to get through the morass of a perception festival is with an unshakeable sense of who you are, what you want, what you bring and what you're worth. And that requires some ego.

I am in the process of digging mine up - it's buried under the rubble of the dot com blow out, 9/11, failed relationships and 3 years without any of my own creativity in my life (read I stopped playing music). I used to shudder at the hubris with which I swaggered back in the day. Things having come slightly full circle and now I can see that right or wrong - good or bad - that hubris was there for a reason and at a time it served me well. I'm hoping for a deeper balance this time around.

6 Comments:

  • At 12:57 AM, Blogger Jym said…

    =v= Dark Sumatran? Pajamas? Sounds like my kinda scene!

     
  • At 9:49 AM, Blogger Stacia said…

    OMG - what I didn't post was a blurb about the coffee I had later in the day (although I was not in my pjs) - hand poured latte at Philz at 24th and Folsom. You *must* try this place - it's crazy good.

     
  • At 4:34 PM, Blogger Jym said…

    =v= I've heard about Philz. Some day I'll tear myself away from Blue Bottle and give it a try.

     
  • At 6:10 PM, Blogger Stacia said…

    OMG - you've so been holding out on me. Why've you never told me about this place?

     
  • At 3:14 PM, Blogger Jym said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 3:15 PM, Blogger Jym said…

    =v= I've been raving about Blue Bottle ever since K. brought some of their beans with her to NYC for one of her hearings. I can't believe I missed telling you. Everyone else is sick of hearing me rave about it. :^)

    http://www.bluebottlecoffee.net/

     

Post a Comment

<< Home