The Sound In Your Head

Friday, October 28, 2005

They Waxed That 'There Is No God' And I Went To Church

Last night I attended a rare performance by Negativland at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco. The show was "It's All In Your Head FM" - "a stereophonic look at monotheism in all its forms, as hosted by the venerable Dr. Oslo Norway."

It was a very interesting show - intellectually and sonically speaking. I'd never seen Negativland nor did I know very much about what to expect from their live show. I was impressed with their ability to mix audio sources so fluidly for such long stretches of time.

The content - "the look at monotheism" or the "god concept" was of particular interest given that I've been deeply embroiled in spiritual practice and study for the last 3 years.

It would seem and I reserve the right to be wrong - that in the end Negativland feels most comfortable deferring to the neurosciences for an explanation and understanding of the human need for spiritual connection. Perhaps I am oversimplifying - and it's more like they pointed at the neurosciences as a clearing house for "clean" (clean = factual/provable) data for mankind's "god". Hence .... "It's All In Your Head FM".

I couldn't completely process my opinion of this idea during the show - I do think it's all in our heads - each of our heads - but it's too easy to stop there and had it over to science - at least for me.

So I left - a little early - I'd been itching to dance all day and there was only so much sitting on a stool at the Great American Music Hall that I could take. Thursday nights are 1984 at The Cat Club here in San Fran - I knew I could get my fix there.

If music is my religion the dance floor is my church.

I cut it up until 3 this morning. And whether or not it was all in my head or not dancing is something of a spiritual experience for me. It's an activity where my mind, senses, body and spirit come together to express - and it is divine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home