The Sound In Your Head

Thursday, October 27, 2005

trying .....

to shift how I think about entering text into my computer in any format - email, webmail, blog, textedit. There's something about writing on paper that feels *safer*. My god - am I a latent LUDITE?

There's a world that I can enter when I'm writing on paper sorta the same world I can enter when I sit down in front of the piano. It's a seemingly more complete process - keys are struck - sounds are created - ink is guided to form words which will forever live on those pages. In the case of a letter there's always the mailing of it which sometimes I don't do and perhaps therein lies some of the feeling of safety - I can communicate my thoughts fully and then choose whether or not to share them and the sharing of them requires a much greater effort (getting the letter into an envelope, addressed, stamped and *gasp* put into a post box). The electronic world is faster. Energy can be transmitted rapidly. Choices are made more quickly and perhaps without some much consideration. Urgency can drive those choices. Right now I am struggling to trust myself in the digital domain.

Questions go like this:

- Is this post worthwhile?

- Will it be complete?

- Will I look back on it 3 months from now and cringe?

- How should I reply to this email - how much information is wanted?

- Am I pushing it - is this a forced communication?

- Why can't we just talk on the phone?

Online publishing thrills me - the instant gratification - the reflection of our constant state of change - it's exhilarating, challenging, intriguing and sexy. Maybe there's just a new set of underlying energetic rules that govern how digital communications work naturally and we as a people are adjusting to them?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home