The Sound In Your Head

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Advice For The Terminally Scattered And Distracted

I had an ear training teacher in college, I wish I could remember his name. It was something like Bob Johnson or Bill Jefferson something pretty run of the mill; the man himself was a towering, trim, dark skinned black man who occasionally sounded like he'd just strolled in off a beach in Jamaica.

Bill, we'll call him, would sit down at the piano rub his eyes with the side of his hands and with a tinge of that island twang call us to order 'focus people, focus'.

To this day, when I'm scattered hither and yan (and just where the hell is yan anyway) I say to myself 'focus people, focus'.

Seems I've been 'focus people, focus'-ing myself a lot lately and I can't seem to figure out why. It's summer time certainly. I haven't had a vacation in awhile; but then again I don't really believe in them. For some reason in my head when I think about taking vacation the question emerges, 'why, you're just going to have to come back to work? save it for when you're ready to leave.'

In a way, I welcome being distracted. It's letting me know that something is missing and that some kind of change is required. What this is; I could venture a guess. But how it's going to play out and manifest .... that's another story that I can only tell in the past tense. For now I reckon I'll have to enjoy being scattered - (did I mention that a week ago I locked my keys in the car while it was running? Yes, I did. Fortunately I was out to lunch literally and otherwise with a friend who had AAA and we got it sorted in about 5 minutes) and let 'focus people, focus' carry me through.

3 Comments:

  • At 4:08 PM, Blogger Jym said…

    =v= You will find the seed of yan in the center of ying.

     
  • At 11:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh my God -- Bill Thompson!! I loved that guy.

     
  • At 6:23 AM, Blogger Stacia said…

    Oh that's right Bill Thompson! Thanks Zack. That guy was a piece of work.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home