The Sound In Your Head

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Small Is The New Black

Okay, so yeah, I'm moving and with a 2 1/2 week overlap between apartments I have some *time* to really assess the shift I am making by virtue of this relocation.

Let us review for those of you just tuning in. I am moving out of a 1 bedroom apartment in Millbrae to a, ahem, studio apartment in San Francisco's Mission District. It was a somewhat spur of the moment decision if you don't count the 2 years I've been in Millbrae telling people that I'd eventually be moving back to the city when they asked me why I lived in Millbrae. Well, the one sentence recap is that Millbrae is about a 7 minute drive from my office. So shut the fuck up and go home. Oh wait ... I am home. Anyway ..... I made the decision to move to a studio in the Mission rather quickly knowing full well that it was going to be a significant shift.

I'll preface the selling of 'small as the new black' by saying that my bases are covered - despite the small new digs there is a parking space that belongs to me underneath my new building. In the Mission this space goes a long way.

So without further adieu ....

Three Reasons Why Small Is The New Black:

1. Consolidation of physical stuff is good for the psyche.

2. Efficicent utilization of space creates efficiencies in other areas of one's life.

3. A smaller apartment calls for more time spent outside of home visiting parks, museums, cafes, bookstores and other destinations that a good urban environment provide which in turn serves as the basis for connection with a larger community.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:53 AM, Blogger isaacjosephson said…

    I went from a house with a yard in Berkeley to a 900 sq foot apartment in Brooklyn. I feel ya.

     
  • At 7:15 PM, Blogger Stacia said…

    good god, that's right. i am *hoping* at some point to migrate to the east bay; the relocation to sf is a step along that path. everytime i get pissy about small i think about nyc and it all goes away :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home